Extending a Leave of Absence

If you decide to extend your leave of absence, please contact your academic advisor to let them know any special circumstances regarding the extension, as well as your updated return term. They will be able to update the university records on your behalf.

Returning in the Spring Semester

If your leave of absence occurs during the fall semester and you plan to return in the spring of the same academic year, you should complete the financial aid application process so that we can process financial aid for you for the spring semester. This includes responding to requests for additional information. If you have already received financial aid for the academic year, and you notified the Financial Aid Office about your planned leave of absence, the Financial Aid Office will revise your financial aid eligibility, if needed.

Returning in a Future Academic Year

If you will not be returning to USC until a future academic year (fall or spring), plan ahead for your return. You must meet all financial aid deadlines for the academic year of your expected return. Financial aid deadlines are posted the December proceeding the academic year of your expected return at https://financialaid.usc.edu/. You must also continue to satisfy all financial aid general eligibility requirements. For example, you must not default on any student loan while you are on your leave of absence. Contact the Financial Aid Office at www.usc.edu/contactfao if you have questions about returning.

Returning to USC Checklist

  • Contact USC Registrar to obtain a Permit to Register date  – TRO 101 | Phone: (213) 740-8500 | Email: onestop@usc.edu
  • Check your student account on OASIS, under Restrictions, to see if there are any holds on your account that require action prior to registering for classes – https://my.usc.edu/
  • Contact the Financial Aid Office to be sure that any loans and scholarships are reactivated.  You may need to contact your private lenders as well.
  • Complete a current FAFSA and CSS application prior to returning.  For further information contact Financial Aid – JHH Lobby | Phone: (213) 740-4444 |
    Fax: (213) 821-3717 | https://fafsa.ed.gov/ | https://cssprofile.collegeboard.org/  
  • Contact your academic advisor to discuss course enrollment.
  • Academic Review: If you are on academic probation, please contact your academic review counselor to discuss your eligibility – FIG 107 | Phone: (213) 740-1196 |
    Fax: (213) 821-0243 | E-mail: acadrev@usc.edu
  • If you plan to reside in University housing contact the USC Housing Office for assistance – PSX | Phone: (213) 740-2546 | Fax: (213) 740-8488 | Email: housing@usc.edu |
    Website: http://housing.usc.edu/
  • Contact Transportation Services regarding permits, parking and other transportation related questions – PSX | Phone: 213-740-3575 | Website: http://transnet.usc.edu/
  • Contact USCard regarding Discretionary and Dining Dollar accounts – PSX |
    Phone (UPC): (213) 740-8709 | Phone (HSC): (323) 442-1201 | Email: uscard@usc.edu
  • Contact Student Health Services for assistance: Engemann Student Health Center –
    ESH 1031 West 34th Street | Phone: (213) 740-9355 | Email: eshcgen@usc.edu
  • If you have a disability or believe that your reason for taking a leave of absence may qualify you as having a disability, please contact Disability Services and Programs for assistance  –  GFS 120 | Phone: (213) 740-0776 | Email: ability@usc.edu |
    Website: http://dsp.usc.edu/
  • Student-Athletes: Please contact your athletic advisor to confirm your eligibility.
  • International Students: Please contact the Office of International Services (OIS) to verify your Visa status and confirm eligibility for your return – PSD 101 | Phone: (213) 740-2666 | Fax: (213) 740-5194 | Email: ois@usc.edu | Website: http://ois.usc.edu/

Steps for Returning to USC

Returning to USC | Registration / Academic Progress